Saturday, April 21, 2012

Fort Frederick, On the Maryland Frontier



Fort Frederick from the SouthWest: Albert Burns, Library of Congress.

 Fort Frederick.  Garrison Duty on the Potomac River
Smith's Company, First Virginia Regiment of Foot in the Continental Establishment

The stone fort was built in 1756 to defend Maryland’s frontier during the French and Indian War. Fort Frederick is unique among most southern frontier fortifications due to its eighteen foot high stone curtain, built to withstand fire, a common occurance in native attacks.  It was used at a supply depot for action against the French and their native allies in the Pennsylvania campaigns. Fort Frederick again saw service during the American Revolution as a prison for British and Hessian soldiers, garrisoned by Maryland militia.
Up at dawn, boiling hominy for the section.
Morning Roll Call, Six effectives.  The remainder on post, in hospital, or the grave.
At drill on the parade ground.
Private Wenger, The Gunsmith of Fincastle County.
Firing at Marks.
At leisure before guard mount.

Sound "Roast Beef"
 

Ensign Heatherington fraternizing with the other ranks.

Wasting wages at diversions and ale.


Dear Traveller, make haste to the market faire within rifleshotte of the walls of the fort.
Friends of Fort Frederick

                                                                         -Cincinnatus

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
                                                                                         -Psalm 18:2

No comments:

Post a Comment