|A few of the things I've been working on: Completed infantry helmets, belly box, |
and belt carriage
|The panels prepared. I found that significant wetting and stretching was required to fit. |
My estimation is that, with the headband and selvage on the leather, about 2 add'l inches
must be accounted for above head size.
|The helmet sewn and turned rightside out. I wetted the helmet prior to turning |
and stretched it out for two days, allowing it to dry thoroughly.
|Interior suspension whip-stitched and tied. This is more substantial that the typical|
linen headband in period hats and keeps the helmet up off the crown,
as in a modern webbing or padding system.
|Adding the rear flap. Start at the center...I didn't and now its a bit crooked!|
|As you can see the finished interior also incorporates a sweat band |
and the turned under portion of the rear flap, significantly reducing the interior circumference.
|The finished cap. I took the "liberty" of adding a black hemp tassel to the crown, as in the Newport Light Infantry Cap, and the black ostrich plume, which can be seen in a period British cartoon of an American Light Infantry Officer.|